Did you know the Mowery team has completed more than 30 senior living construction projects since 2009? As continuing care retirement communities become a more desirable living option and the needs of these facilities continue to change, Mowery is proud to serve as the go-to senior living construction company in Central Pennsylvania.
To learn more about our team’s senior living design and construction capabilities, the latest industry trends, and some of our senior living projects, keep reading!
What is Senior Living Construction?
Senior living construction is the process of designing and building facilities that serve the wants and needs of the senior population. Senior living construction includes building spaces for active seniors as well as individuals who require assisted living or skilled nursing services. Construction of these facility’s campuses can also include dining halls, fitness centers, activity rooms, and other amenities.
When designing and building senior living complexes, it is critical to collaborate with the facility owner and staff to lay the foundation for a safe construction experience that will deliver a remarkable final build.
What Are the Current Senior Living Construction Trends?
As a design-build firm for senior housing companies, Mowery stays up to date on the latest market trends. Some of the most noteworthy trends that have recently emerged in senior living construction include:
- LEED Certified – Not only do facility owners want to pursue eco-friendly options, but they also are looking for ways to lock down long-term savings offered by green construction. At Mowery, we have witnessed an increasing number of senior living facilities pursue Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certifications. We help clients create efficient spaces that will provide a return on investment by considering key areas such as energy and atmosphere, materials and resources, indoor environmental quality, innovation and design process, and much more.
- Need for Better Air Quality – The health and safety of our senior population has always been a top priority, but as a result of the global pandemic, a larger focus has been placed on air quality within senior living facilities. Over the past year, our team has worked with clients in the senior living market to install upgraded HVAC systems that purify air and UV-C air sanitizing systems for ductwork as well as put measures in place to control air humidity. We predict this trend will stay as senior living communities continue to look for ways to increase the health and safety of their residents.
- Flexible Spaces – Today, senior living communities offer residents many amenities such as movie theaters, activity rooms, libraries, full-service beauty salons, and so much more! While many facilities have designated areas for these activities, a trend Mowery has witnessed is the transition to more flexible, open spaces. For example, a room used for game nights could have large sliding doors that open into a larger dining room. This design is flexible and great for both small gatherings and large get-togethers on the facility’s campus, as the space can be transformed to serve the size of the crowd.
Additionally, senior living communities should look to how they can update their outdoor spaces to better serve residents. For example, outdoor firepits, a bar/snack area, greenhouses, walking trails, and more should all be an integral part of these communities. While it was once common to spread these amenities out across the community’s campus, today, many senior living communities are requesting these amenities be closer together so residents can see what else is going on while participating in an activity.
What Are Mowery’s Capabilities in Senior Living Construction?
From cottages to skilled care centers, to dining halls, and even fitness centers, our team has built and renovated many spaces for senior living complexes in Central Pennsylvania. With over 12 years’ experience building better care, we know that in many instances, residents are still living in the spaces where we are working. Creating a safe construction experience for residents and staff is critical and our top priority. Therefore, procedures are in place to not only ensure safety, avoid disruptions and keep all parties in the know, but also focus on completing the project on time and within budget. See for yourself some of the most notable senior living projects our team has completed!
- Cross Keys Village – Working with Cross Keys Village, a senior living facility in New Oxford, PA, Mowery built a 69,504 SF apartment building that includes beautiful finishes.
- Menno Haven – Northgate Commons – Mowery worked with Menno Haven to renovate an existing 146,735 SF building into an entertainment space for residents complete with a pool, fitness center, café, a restaurant with private dining, a game room, a library, a full-service beauty salon, and much more.
- Messiah Lifeways – Alleghany/Tuscarora Apartments –Our team worked with Messiah Lifeways to build residential living apartments for seniors. The apartments include a salon, post office, fitness center, reading room, fireside dining, and a brand-new entrance.
- Presbyterian Senior Living – Green Ridge Village – Mowery worked with Presbyterian Senior Living to complete interior renovations to the Swaim Health Center and several cottages. Additionally, minor renovations to community rooms, apartments, greenhouses, and more were completed.
- Presbyterian Senior Living – Windy Hill II at Westminster Place – Working with Presbyterian Senior Living, our team created an extremely airtight, highly efficient apartment building to reduce the facility’s monthly energy bills. This building features 48 units, activity and laundry rooms on each floor, and a café on the main level.
We Are Here for Your Senior Living Construction Needs
At Mowery, we understand the sensitivity needed in the senior care environment. Whether we are building a new independent living facility, a memory care complex, or even expanding an existing building where residents frequent, our team understands the unique challenges and opportunities of this market and how to deliver a remarkable experience. To learn more about our senior living construction projects and services, reach out to us today. We cannot wait to start a conversation and learn how we can help bring your project to life!